Newlyweds are saying “I do” to each other and equate to more than half of first time home buyers that are also saying “I do” to their dream homes. It makes sense! When you put two hearts together, the time comes to find a home to nourish that love. A home that brings both of your places together and makes it one. If you and your beloved are ready to fall in love with the perfect house together at the same time you plan to swap vows, here are five tips to make sure the process goes smoothly and you come prepared.
1. YOUR WEDDING BUDGET: Your wedding is a one-time event that shouldn’t be less than what you’d imagine. It’s a beautiful time to put all of your dream pieces together. However, it’s best to sit down and find out ways you can shift the budget to help with your down payment for a home. The average couple spends a little over $20,000 on their wedding. Even a savings of $5000 from your wedding budget can help with owning the perfect home.
2. WEDDING GIFTS: Wedded bliss comes with wedding gifts. Let’s admit…one of our favorite times during the wedding season is all of the gifts that come pouring in! Do you have any friends or family pitching in cash? Save that to put towards your down payment. Depending on the generosity of your gifts, you can even open an account dedicated to your down payment which friends and family can gift to directly.
3. GET PRE-APPROVED: One of the least brought up conversations in relationships is the credit and financial history of your soon-to-be spouse. Get together with a lender to go over both of your histories so you know what needs to be done to put you in the best position to own together. In some cases, only one person can get approved while the other can’t. If you want to put both of your incomes toward the cost of the house you’re dreaming of, talking to a lender early can ensure you are prepared to make the right moves.
4. THE RIGHT AGENT: That’s where I come in! For starters, I can connect you with a lender to ensure you’re being well taken care of on the financial end. It’s an absolute joy to take the stress out of buying a home for my newlywed couples. Although a joyous occasion, we all know how stressful a wedding can be. Then, to jump into buying a house shortly after, well, it’s certainly a great deal to get through. However, I can guide you through all the steps to make sure you end up with the home you love. Just think of me as a wedding planner but for homes.
5. NOW THERE’S TWO: Although some spouses are a match made in heaven, loving and adoring the same exact things. Often times, most couples have less in common than that. You still are your own people and have your own tastes. This is where the first step to compromise really begins. Now, you’ll be spending a good bit of money on a place you BOTH should love and call home. A happy marriage starts with a happy home. Be sure you’re considerate of each other’s wants and needs in style and location so both of you are happy with the home you end up getting.